A week of travelling around in South Korea

Mark IJzerman
2017-08-13 15:02
This week was a loooooooongggggg one, as after we had a "midterm presentation" for the residency program on monday morning, I went on my longest trip of the residency, visiting and recording in Gwangju, Jinju, hiking Jirisan and Busan all in ~5 days.

Gwangju is known for the democratic uprising if May 1980, when Gwangju citizens took up arms after students who were demonstrating against the government were brutally fired upon, killed, and beaten by government troops. It now is a symbol for striving for a better democracy. The monument took me some trying to get to as I was approaching it from the wrong side but I arrived eventually. It was a very peaceful monument, very absurd in at the side of a park. I might weave in historical recordings of the Gwangju Uprising event if I can find them.

In Gwangju I also visited the Asia Culture Center, or ACC, which had great exhibitions on the arts in the whole of Asia as well as an expo by artist Tomas Saraceno. I learned about Shamanism as well as political structures in South Korea.

I arrived in Jinju quite late, but as soon as I walked in to the guest house I was staying, I felt very very welcome. The Good Guest House is run by a family and even though I only stayed for 1.5 day I felt a part of their family. We shared fresh fruits, vegetables and ate eel wraps. Their English wasn't so good but with the help of translation apps we were able to get to know each other and have a laugh.

From there I also went to Jirisan, the mountain with the highest peak on the South Korean mainland. I arrived at the entrance of the park quite late, and it was very rainy and a quite stormy. After some talk with the man at the entrance and explaining I had booked a spot in a shelter near the top, I was allowed to enter. What followed was a very straining hike of almost 5 hours, a steep climb in the rain, without any proper gear or clothing suited for such a climb. I made wonderful rainy forest-recordings though! I arrived at the shelter at around 7PM, completely soaked and exhausted. I got two blankets and was glad to be able to lay down my head! I did not sleep much, as I shared this space with about 20 others, and they snored like crazy.

I got up at around 03.30AM to prepare to walk up to the top so I could see the sun rise. Where all the Koreans cooked in the communal shelter kitchen, I just chewed on some peanuts as I did not really have anything else. Koreans really take a lot of stuff up the mountain! Gas cookers, bags of rice, kimchi, everything.

Anyway, after this very small breakfast I started walking the steep climb to the top in total darkness. There was a (almost?) full moon, but as it was very misty, that did not really help either. I climbed with my iPhone as a flashlight in one hand, slowly getting closer to the top. I reached the top at around 5 in the morning. It was cold, dark, windy, and I thought there wasn't going to be a great view. But then the clouds dissapeared. I have never seen such a beautiful sunrise. I recorded the Koreans gasping at the sun, which I will probably use in my project. Here is a video clip from the top:

Going back down after an hour, I recorded several beautiful spots and waterfalls, as well as various birds. It is amazing to hear the different species that live at different altitudes: from ~1200m and up it gets very quiet, with only the occasional bird, while at ~700m and down there is a variety of cicades and other insects. Also interesting how this influences human communication, that has to rise above the level of noise of the cicades at some point. I also enjoyed talking with some other hikers, telling me their views on their country.

Getting back to the guest house in Jinju I gathered strengths by eating some more of their delicious fresh fruits and sandwiches.
In the afternoon I went to Busan.

I was welcomed at the subway station by Jinyeong and her daughter Alice. We took a taxi to her house. Jinyeong prepared us dinner, while her daughter showed me all her toys and told me about her favorite cartoons. Stunning that kids can watch cartoons ALL DAY here. In my day in the Netherlands I believe it was only mornings in the weekend...
We had a great dinner and I went to bed, being tired from the hike I had completed that morning!

The next day I walked and recorded the coast in Busan. It is very touristy, with big events with big sponsors everywhere on the beach, every millimeter being exploited by companies. At the side of the beach I found older Korean people sitting on the rocks, dismissing this gentrification and using this last "untouched" but rocky part of the beach as their own freehaven. I hope to be able to bring this contrast of vast nature being exploited by man in my sound collage within the project. The sounds of waves crashing, the chatter of people on the beach combined with the sound of construction of new buildings in the background was an interesting juxtaposition. As it was quite windy it was hard to make really good recordings, but I made the best of it. In the afternoon I made my way to the train station to get a KTX train back to Seoul.

I really enjoyed this week of travel, but now it's time for a week of working on the book and printing the photos, as well as doing a small gig at a local venue in Seoul. I'm kind of stressed as I don't have any performance gear with me and I hardly have time to prepare, but I will make it work!
On Friday afternoon I will also leave to Jeju, the island south of Korea, to do the very last recordings, chill for a weekend and also work a bit on the sound collages.

On Saturday night I went to this amazing festival called Sold Out Seoul. I really enjoyed the variety of genres and the size of the festival, as well as the moon shining over the bands.

By the way, apparently Dutch news is reporting that Seoul is in danger of a nuclear strike because of the Trump/Kim conflict. Truth is, people here have been living in this threat for 50+ years. They don't believe anything will happen soon. I can do nothing but just believe them.

Also, people have asked me about my annoyances. I do not enjoy the fact that some things are really hard for foreigners, for example getting a SIM card or booking plane tickets. Sometimes I lose a day just by figuring something like that out. Other things, such as actually getting around using public transport, are very well arranged.
Also, I do not enjoy the various bugs that are crawling around. The other day I found this one in my bed. Yuck!
Total 1

  • 2017-09-05 14:43
    이번 주는 정말 너어어어어어어어어무 긴 날이었다. 월요일 아침에 진행될 레지던시 프로그램의 중간점검을 끝낸 후 나는 녹음 작업을 위해 광주, 진주, 지리산, 그리고 부산까지 5일간의 긴 여행을 가게 되었다.

    광주는 1980년 5월에 일어난 민주화 운동으로 유명하다. 당시 광주 시민들은 정부 군대들로 인해 탄압받고 생명을 잃으면서까지 민주화를 위해 맞섰다고 한다. 오늘 날은 더 나은 민주화를 위한 상징이 되었다. 길을 잘못 들어 이상한 방향으로 기념비를 찾아가게 되었지만 어찌됐든 결국엔 목적지에 도착하였다. 무척 평화로운 공간임에 동시에 조금은 아이러니한 장소라는 생각이 들었다. 아마도 역사적인 시각으로 광주에 대한 녹음작업을 하다보니 그런 것이 아닐까 싶다.

    아시아 전역의 예술을 볼 수 있었던 토마스 사라세토의 엑스포로 유명한 ACC를 방문하였다. 그곳에서 샤머니즘을 기반한 한국의 정치적 구조에 대해 배울 수 있었다.

    진주에는 예상보다 늦게 도착하였다. 그러나 게스트 하우스에 들어가자 마자 나를 따뜻하게 맞이해준다는 느낌을 받았다. 이곳은 가족에 의해 운영되는 게스트 하우스로 1.5일이란 짧은 기간 동안만 지냈지만 나 역시 가족의 일부가 된 기분이었다. 우리는 신선한 과일과 야채, 그리고 장어쌈을 함께 먹었다. 가족들이 영어를 잘하지는 못하였지만 번역 앱을 통해 서로 대화를 하며 즐거운 시간을 보낼 수 있었다.

    이 후 남한 본토에서 가장 큰 산인 지리산으로 이동하였다. 예상보다 지리산 입구에 늦게 도착하였고 당시 엄청나게 비가 내리고 태풍이 치고 있는 상황이었다. 입구에 있던 한 남성이 정상 근처에 있는 대피소를 예약했다는 것을 확인한 후에야 등산을 허락하였다. 적절한 도구나 복장의 준비도 없는 5시간 장장의 빗 속의 가파른 등산이었다. 그럼에도 숲 속에서 퍼지는 멋진 빗소리를 녹음할 수 있었다. 저녁 7시즘 대피소에 도착하였고, 나는 완전 녹초가 된 상태였다. 나는 2장의 이불을 얻었고 머리를 뉘어 쉴 수 있게 되어 참으로 기뻤다. 20명 이상의 사람들과 같은 공간을 공유해야 하는 상황에다 엄청난 코골음에 깊게 잠을 청하긴 어려웠다.

    산 정상에서 해가 뜨는 것을 보기 위해 새벽 3시 30분즘에 일어나 준비를 시작했다. 한국인들이 요리를 하는 공동주방에서 나 홀로 아무것도 없어 땅콩을 씹어 먹었다. 한국인들은 참으로 많은 것들을 들고 등산을 한다! 휴대용 가스렌지, 쌀주머니, 김치 등등 모든 것을 말이다.

    어찌됐든, 간단한 아침식사 후 나는 완벽한 어둠 속에서 등산을 시작하게 되었다. 보름달(거의?)이 뜬 하늘 아래 도움도 안되게 공기는 무척 습했다. 아이폰에 내장되 있는 렌턴을 손에 들고 조금씩 정상을 향해 올랐다. 새벽 5시즘 정상에 다다르게 되었다. 산 꼭대기는 춥고, 어두우며, 바람이 세차게 불어 좋은 경치를 보기는 어렵다는 생각이 들었다. 그러나 구름이 걷어진 하늘 위로 떠오른 일출은 눈부시게 아름다웠다. 나는 일출을 바라보는 사람들의 탄성과 대화들을 녹음하였다.

    한 시간 뒤에 하산을 하면서 나는 몇몇 경치 좋은 장소와 다양한 새들이 군집해 있는 폭포 아래에서 녹음 작업을 하였다. 각기 다른 고도에 서식하는 다양한 종들의 음을 들을 수 있다는 건 정말 놀라운 일이다: 해발 1200미터에서 그 이상으로 올라가게 되면 무척 조용하다. 오로지 새들의 소리들만 간간히 맴돌 뿐이다. 700미터에서 그 아래까지는 매미와 곤충들 소리로 가득하다. 또한 매미소리의 크기가 변화하는 등 주변환경에 따라 사람들의 대화방식에도 영향을 끼친다는 것이 흥미로웠다. 등산을 하는 동안 그 외의 다른 등산가들과 함께 이야기하며 그들의 시각과 나라(문화)에 대해 알아가는 것도 꽤나 즐거웠다.

    진주에 있는 게스트하우스로 돌아가서 나는 그곳의 가족들과 함께 맛있는 샌드위치와 신선한 과일을 함께 먹었다.
    이 후 오후에는 부산으로 향해갔다.

    전철역에서는 진영과 그녀의 딸인 엘리스에게 환대를 받았다. 우리는 함께 택시를 타고 그녀의 집으로 향했다. 진영은 함께 먹을 저녁을 준비하였고 그녀의 딸은 자신의 장난감으로 보여주고 제일 좋아하는 만화에 대해 이야기 해주었다. 한 곳에서 하루종일 만화를 볼 수 있다는 점이 참으로 놀라웠다. 내 어린시절, 네덜란드에선 주말 아침에만 가능했던 일이다.

    다음 날 나는 부산의 해변가를 거닐며 녹음 작업을 하였다. 상당이 관광객들로 가득한 장소였으며 많은 이벤트와 스폰서들로 가득 찬 해변가가 위치해 있었다. 해변가의 다른 쪽에서 바위에 앉아있는 한국의 노인들을 발견하였고, 그 단단한 바위에서 젠틀리피케이션으로부터 벗어나 아직은 “손길이 닿지 않은” 그들 만의 천국을 느끼는 것을 목격할 수 있었다. 나는 내 사운드 콜라주 프로젝트를 통해 인간의 개발과 그 안의 거대한 자연 간의 대조에 대해 표현하고자 하였다. 파도가 부딫히는 소리, 주변의 건축현장 소리와 함께 들리는 해변가의 사람들 대화 소리 등이 함께 병치되면서 흥미로운 사운드를 생성해 내었다. 바람이 꽤나 부는 날씨어서 인지 녹음작업이 아주 좋지만은 않았지만 그래도 내 선에선 최선을 다해 작업하였다. 오후에는 서울로 올라가는 KTX기차를 타고 돌아왔다.

    이번 주 여행은 정말 즐거웠다. 그러나 이젠 다시 서울의 작업실로 돌아가 사진을 프린트 하고 책을 만들어야 할 때다. 사실 퍼포먼스와 관련된 기기와 그와 관련하여 준비할 시간이 부족해 스트레스를 받고 있는 중이지만 어찌됐든 프로젝트가 진행될 수 있도록 할 것이다.
    금요일 오후, 나는 여유있는 시간을 보내며 사운드 콜라주 작업을 진행했던 제주도에서의 막바지 녹음 작업을 마무리 한 후 떠날 채비를 하였다.

    토요일 저녁 나는 솔드아웃 서울이라는 페스티벌에 참석했다. 페스티벌의 다양한 장르와 크기에 놀라웠고 무척 재미있었다.

    그러고 보니, 네덜란드에서 미국과 북한 간의 갈등으로 인해 서울이 핵공격의 위험에 처해있다는 뉴스를 전해 들었다. 실제로, 이곳에 있는 사람들은 이러한 위협과 함께 50년 이상을 살아왔다. 그들은 이러한 위험에 대해 실제로 일어날 것이라는 가망성을 크게 보는 거 같진 않았다. 내가 할 수 있는 것은 그들의 말을 믿는 것 말곤 없었다.

    또한, 사람들이 내가 짜증스러워 하는 부분에 대해 물어보곤 하였다. 나는 심카드를 구입한다거나 비행기 티켓을 구입하는 등 외국인 신분으로 준비하기 어려운 것들이 그닥 신나지 않은 일이라 생각했다. 때때로 나는 이러한 부분만을 위해 하루를 소모해야 할 때가 있다. 그 외에, 예를 들면 대중교통과 같은 부분은 꽤나 편리하게 정리되어 있다.

    한가지 덧붙이자면 주변에 기어 다니는 온갖 종류의 벌레들이 신경 쓰이기 시작했다. 어느 날에는 내 방 이불 위에까지 나타나 있었다. 우웩!